Want to teach Red Cross First Aid Courses?
Help others learn valuable first aid information in a relaxed learner-centered atmosphere…
Our first aid/CPR instructor course will give you valuable teaching experience, and an edge in the job market. As a Red Cross First Aid Instructor you are qualified to teach for an established Red Cross Authorized Provider. In time, you may plan on starting up your own first aid training company. The Red Cross can provide you with valuable information on insurance, marketing, and more.
Who can take a First Aid and CPR instructor course?
- Instructor candidates must possess, at a minimum, a current Standard First Aid certificate, and valid HCP level CPR certification.
- Candidate must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- Candidate must be able to perform skills effectively on their own, with no coaching.
A pre-course skills testing to ensure your CPR and First Aid skills are at a high standard. This is followed by 36 to 40 hours of instruction on how to teach and conduct Canadian Red Cross First Aid courses. The last step is successful completion of co-teach, during which the instructor candidate is observed teaching in an actual classroom environment.
The instructor school covers the following material:
- Learning styles and the domains of learning.
- Characteristics of adult and children learners.
- How to perform effective skills demonstrations.
- Facilitation techniques.
- Effective use of facilitation equipment.
- Classroom management.
- How to evaluate skills and knowledge.
- The Red Cross First Aid & CPR program.
- Lesson planning and course outlines.
- Teaching tips for First Aid/CPR.
- Manikin maintenance.
- Course administration requirements.
- Red Cross history and philosophies.
Red Cross First Aid & CPR instructors teach…
The core Red Cross First Aid programs: Emergency and Standard First Aid, all levels of CPR & AED training, and the Prevention of Disease Transmission course.
Red Cross First Aid & CPR instructors are also able to teach the Child Care First Aid courses, and the Marine First Aid courses. Before teaching these courses, instructors must purchase the student manuals for these courses.
I am interested in becoming an instructor… what’s the next step?
Even though we have a history of having instructed a number of courses we have chosen not to apply to become one of the few agencies who are able to teach the Red Cross Instructor course AND the Red Cross Instructor recertification course. You can search the Red Cross site for an agency close to you. Contact us at the school and we will discuss it if you wish. Our number is 604-465-5622. Alternatively, you may reach us online through our contact form
I am a Canadian Red Cross First Aid Instructor. How do I recertify?
That can usually be accomplished in one day. The Recert Application resides on our Forms page for the sole purpose of allowing you to learn of the prerequisites. Search the Red Cross website for an agency close to you to register.
The downloadable schedule is in PDF format and will require a PDF viewer to read. If you do not have a PDF viewer you may visit www.adobe.com to download the free Acrobat Reader.
Maple Ridge First Aid School Limited
#2 – 20475 Lougheed Highway,
Maple Ridge, BC, V2X 9B6
Tel: (604) 465-5622
Fax: (604) 465-4223